About Me

My photo
I was born, I'm currently living, and will eventually die. After that I face my judgment, and we'll talk then.

Followers

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

"Poetry soars to the heavens"

The English-speaking Catholic world is alive with talk of the new translation of the Roman Missal (Ordinary form). The translation has, according to numerous Catholic news reports, been approved by the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments and the USCCB, which had earlier stated qualms with some of the translation suggestions. It will more closely follow the Latin original, translating things like "Et cum spiritu tuo" as "and with your spirit," rather than "and Also with you." There are other ones too, one in particular actually removes the need for the second part of my post: Apologia pro Novus Ordo Missae.

The changes will not take effect for a while, a good thing, so as to avoid the liturgical and linguistic confusion that followed the promulgation of the Mass in the vernacular following Vatican II.

The full article can be here or one can read a blog post on it by Fr. Cusick, a priest I know, here.

I'm excited. Hopefully it will cut down on the number of people raising their hands with the priest when they say "and also with you."

But some people never change.

No comments:

Post a Comment